Search all our rental properties

Renting a Property: Students

Moving away to go to university is both exciting and scary, as for many students, it’s their first time living away from home.

Most students will spend their first year in university halls, which is a fantastic opportunity for them to find their own feet and make plenty of friends. However, second year usually sees students wanting to find their own accommodation, away from halls. Most will want to move in with a large group, whilst some just want to move in with one or two friends.

graduation cap  on a pile of money ( student debt )

For everyone involved, it can be a stressful situation. So if you’re a student looking to find a property to rent for you and your friends, or you’re a parent attempting to find somewhere for your child to live during university, we can help. We’ve put together a helpful guide to advise you on what you need to consider before moving into student accommodation, and what you should be looking for.

Who, Where, Why?

The first thing that you must decide before moving into student rented accommodation is who you want to live with. Once you sign a contract, you will be living with these people for at least 6 months. For most people, they will move in with their friends. This is because it’s cheaper than living alone, is cheaper to split the bills between more people, and it’s more fun too!

You then need to consider where to live. The most obvious choice is near to the university, but you may have to factor in other circumstances; like someone having a part-time job. The nearer to the university, the more the property may cost, but you will save on other things like transport costs.

Make sure that you look around properties so that you know the house includes everything you need. It may sound silly, but make sure that the doors are secure and the windows lock. Student houses often contain a lot of technology, and it’s important that the house is safe.

Piggy Bank

Money, Bills

You need to work out beforehand what you can all afford, including rent and bills.

To make it easier, most student-rented accommodation is all inclusive, meaning most bills will be included in the rent price.

You need to apply for a TV licence too, as watching any kind of live TV (including on a computer) is included under this. For a joint tenancy, only one will be needed.

If you are living in a house solely consisting of full-time students, then you will be exempt from council tax.


If you are still unsure about what you should be looking for when it comes to renting student accommodation, or you just need some advice, then we can help. Here at Easy Let Properties, we are experts in all things houses. We have a selection of property to let in Hastings, including student housing. Contact us on 01424 44 70 80 and a member of our friendly staff will be happy to help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to blog
What our customers say:

loading Loading

    • "As a professional landlord I find the service offered by Easy Let to be totally proficient and reliable.The staff definitely work as a team and the regular progress updates are invaluable. I would definitely recommend them to any landlord."
      David J Hilder, Buchanan First Properties Ltd
    • “As a well-established regional property developer, we use the services of Easy Let . They are efficient, professional and do what they say.“
      Gemselect, House Builders
    • “Over the years, I've used many different letting agents across the few towns where I own property, I have always found Easy Let to be the most efficient and trustworthy, and would not hesitate to recommend them”
      Dain Jensen, Kileys Karpets
Find Us On:

fb rightmove zoopla primeReview Center

Copyright 2017 | Easy Let Rental Agents